Sunday 6 January 2013

The Sunday Evening Feeling


It's Sunday evening, you feel like the weekend has vanished before you in the blink of an eye. A feeling of slightly unplaceable dread descends.

Tomorrow, you can't get up at 10am, make some bacon and eggs, go back to bed and browse aimlessly on your iPad for an hour.

Tomorrow, you can't just spend the day wandering around town, hanging out in cafes or taking a walk down by the river.

As a kid, this was a familiar feeling each weekend of the school term. 6pm each Sunday, Sky1 would air the newest episode of The Simpsons. Whilst the episode played the weekend was but yet young, once the closing credits rolled, it was dead in the water. I would suddenly remember some bit of homework that wasn't done or a test I hadn't studied for. At that point on a Sunday, the following Friday seemed a long long way off. Once school holidays rolled around, it was a whole new ball game. Days rolled into another. Was it a Tuesday or a Saturday? Who knew? Who cared??

In many ways that 'Sunday Feeling' never left as I grew up. Working for a number of years as a Management Consultant, I preferred some projects over others, usually those that afforded me greater autonomy. On those projects the feeling subsided. On the terrible projects the feeling grew exponentially.

The last year or so has been different though. I am a founder of a startup, Teddle. I can't work out if it is because of my poor work/life balance, where in effect everyday feels somewhat like a work day, or because I enjoy it so much more, but the 'Sunday Feeling' is gone. Writing this after 9pm on a Sunday, I am actually eager to get back into the office tomorrow.

One of my co-founders is back from holidays, we haven't been in the same room since before christmas. We have a brilliant friend of the company, coming into town for the week to help us on our marketing strategy. It is our final week working with our current UX lead and I am really keen to finish off a redesign of a core piece of the product. We just launched a new product last week and I'm excited to see how the data is looking. We have a massively important meeting with some very influential people. And most likely a whole heap more things that I can't even recall right now.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly isn't all plain sailing and I don't hop out of bed every single morning waiting to embrace the day, but its so refreshing not just to be trying to kill time until the next 5.29pm Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment